Stay updated with QuizCanvas' "Daily GK & Current Affairs bulletin". This article is very helpful for aspirants who are preparing for different competitive exams like Bank PO, Banking, Railway, IAS, PCS, UPSC, CAT, GATE, CDS, NDA, MCA, MBA, Engineering, IBPS, Clerical Grade, Officer Grade etc.
2017 World Tourism Day celebrated on theme of “Sustainable Tourism – a Tool for Development”
- This year’s World Tourism Day, held on 27 September, is focused on Sustainable Tourism – a Tool for Development. Celebrated in line with the 2017 International Year of Sustainable Tourism for Development, the Day will be dedicated to exploring the contribution of tourism to the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
- World Tourism Day has been celebrated since 1980 on September 27, the day in which the Statutes of the World Tourism Organization (UNWTO) entered into force. Peace and Dialogue, Energy, Accessibility, World Heritage and Water and Tourism have been some of the topics tackled on the 37 previous editions of World Tourism Day.
President launches Incredible India 2.0 Campaign; ‘Adopt a Heritage’ Project on World Tourism Day.
- Incredible India 2.0 campaign will be focusing on specific promotional plans, with greater emphasis to be given to social media, whereas, ‘Adopt A Heritage’ Project plans to entrust heritage sites to the public sector and private sector companies and individuals for the development of tourist amenities.
- The President on 37th edition of “World Tourism Day” also launched “New Incredible India Website”.
Govt constitutes high-level forum on 5G India 2020
- Government has constituted high-level 5G India 2020 Forum with three Secretaries of key Ministries/Departments Telecom, Ministry of Electronics & Information Technology (MeitY) and Department of Science & Technology (DST).
- The International Telecommunication Union (ITU), which will finalise the standards, has already proposed key performance requirements for the fifth-generation mobile technology. Under the 5G technology, the government aims to deliver about 10,000 megabit per second (10 gbps) in urban areas and 1,000 mbps (1 gbps) in rural areas.
Chief Executive of Afghanistan Dr Abdullah Abdullah meets External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj in New Delhi.
The Chief Executive of Afghanistan Dr. Abdullah Abdullah arrived in New Delhi today. External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj held discussions with Dr. Abdullah to strengthen strategic partnership with the close neighbouring country. Dr Abdullah will meet Prime Minister Narendra Modi later in the day.
Cabinet approves Enhancement of age of superannuation of doctors other than Central Health Service (CHS) doctors to 65 years
The Union Cabinet chaired by Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi has approved the enhancement of age of superannuation of doctors other than Central Health Service (CHS) doctors to 65 years.
Cabinet approves bilateral MoU between India and Afghanistan on Technical Cooperation on Police Training and Development
- The Union Cabinet chaired by the Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi, has given its approval for signing an MoU between India and Afghanistan on Technical Cooperation on Police Training and Development.
- The MoU will help in capacity building of Afghanistan National Police and improving the security apparatus in the region.
Cabinet approves signing and ratification of the Bilateral Investment Treaty between India and Belarus on investments
- The Union Cabinet chaired by Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi has given its approval for signing and ratification of the Bilateral Investment Treaty (BIT) between the India and Belarus on Investments.
- The Treaty is likely to increase investment flows between the two countries. The agreement is expected to improve the confidence of the investors resulting in an increase in FDI and Overseas Director Investment (ODI) opportunities and this will have a positive impact on employment generation.
Cabinet approves MoU between India and Belarus in the oil and gas sector
- The Union Cabinet chaired by Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi has given its ex-post facto approval for a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) signed between India and Belarus in the oil and gas sector. The MoU was signed on 12th September, 2017 during the visit of President of Belarus to India.
- The MoU will promote bilateral relationship between India and Belarus and it is envisaged to enhance the economic and commercial cooperation between the two sides in oil and natural gas sector. Under the MoU, both sides will work towards establishing cooperation in the areas of upstream and downstream activities, capacity building, technology transfer, enhanced oil recovery and development of mature fields in India.
Cabinet approves Agreement on “Cooperation in the field of Information, Communication and Media” between India and Ethiopia
The Union Cabinet chaired by the Prime Minister Narendra Modi has given its approval to sign the Agreement between India and Ethiopia on “Cooperation in the field of Information, Communication and Media”. It aims to harness the growing power of Information, Communication and Media for information dissemination and enhancing outreach between the two countries for inclusive development. It will also enhance people to people contact through exchange programmes. It would also provide an opportunity for both the nations to share best practices and new innovations in the field of Information, Communication & Media.
Railways to soon introduce innovative techniques to eliminate rail accidents.
Railway Minister Piyush Goyal has said that innovative techniques are soon being introduced to eliminate rail accidents. These include revamping the existing signalling system by use of TPWS (Train Protection and Warning System) and MTRC (Mobile Train Radio Communication).
Union Cabinet approves 25 thousand crore rupee scheme for modernization of state police forces in next three years
- The Cabinet Committee on Security today approved the implementation of an umbrella scheme for modernization of state police forces in the next three years.
- The internal security, law and order, women security, weapons procurement, hiring of helicopters and other requirements will be covered under the scheme.
- T scheme has three thousand core rupees as central assistance for 35 worst Left Wing Extremism affected districts. Mr. Singh said, it will also have 100 crore rupees outlay for North Eastern States for police infrastructure up-gradation, training institutes and investigation facilities.
Cabinet approves signing of (i) Inter-bank Local Currency Credit Line Agreement and (ii) Cooperation Memorandum relating to Credit Ratings by EXIM Bank under BRICS Interbank Cooperation mechanism
The Union Cabinet chaired by the Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi has given its approval to the signing of the (i) Interbank Local Currency Credit Line Agreement and (ii) Cooperation Memorandum Relating to Credit Ratings by Exim Bank with participating member banks under BRICS Interbank Cooperation Mechanism. As both the Agreement and the MoU are umbrella pacts, and are non-binding in nature, the Board of Directors of Exim Bank has been authorized to negotiate and conclude any individual contracts and commitments within their framework.
CARA launches monthly “Jan Sampark” Program to facilitate adoption
- The Central Adoption Resource Authority (CARA) of the Ministry of Women & Child Development has started a monthly “Jan Sampark” program to enable the public to have interaction with its officials and staff for seeking information related to Adoption as well as flagging their concerns.
- The first of its kind programme was held in New Delhi yesterday. Nearly 150 Prospective Adoptive Parents (PAPs), Adoptive Parents and representatives of agencies participated in the session, which lasted for more than four hours.
A.P. opts for green fleet of e-buses
- A week after Himachal Pradesh flagged off India’s first commercial electric bus (e-bus) service on the Kullu-Manali-Rohtang pass, the Andhra Pradesh State Road Transport Corporation (APSRTC) has set in motion plans to replicate similar e-bus services in the State, starting with the ghat road connecting Tirupati and Tirumala.
- While Himachal Pradesh started off with 25 e-buses, APSRTC plans to start operations with 50. The buses are manufactured by the Hyderabad-based Goldstone Infratech Limited.
US slaps sanctions on eight North Korean banks, 26 executives
The US imposed sanctions on eight North Korean banks and 26 bank executives, ratcheting up pressure on the country amid increasingly bellicose exchanges with Pyongyang over its nuclear programme. All property and interest of the designated companies and individuals in the US are blocked by the sanctions.
Kurd voted for seperated nation
- Initial results of Monday’s vote indicated 72% of eligible voters had taken part and an overwhelming majority, possibly over 90%, had said “yes”, Kurdish TV channel Rudaw said. Final results are expected by Wednesday.
- The Iraqi government ruled out talks on possible secession for Kurdish-held northern Iraq on Tuesday and Turkey threatened sanctions after a referendum in the region showed strong support for independence.
StanC, Citi become shareholders in Swift India
- Standard Chartered and Citibank have picked up stake in global financial messaging service Swift's local arm, becoming the first foreign lenders to invest in the platform.
- Swift India was formed in 2012 as a joint venture between the global cooperative Swift Scril and nine leading domestic banks.
- Other lender shareholders in the company include Axis Bank, Bank of Baroda, Bank of India, Canara Bank, HDFC Bank, ICICI Bank, Punjab National Bank, State Bank of India and Union Bank of India.
Govt to set up panel to ease regulatory hurdles
- The government has decided to form a review committee to examine and bring down the regulatory issues faced by industry. The meeting was chaired by Commerce and Industry Minister Suresh Prabhu.
- The new committee, set up under the Department of Industrial Policy & Promotion (DIPP) secretary, will lead to better ways for implementing the ease of doing business norms.
India remain at No. 40 on WEF’s global competitiveness rankings
- India remains the most competitive country in South Asia, appearing at No. 40 in the global competitiveness ranking of 137 countries by the World Economic Forum (WEF). The ranking is one lower than last year’s, but the two rankings are not comparable because of a change in the methodology, WEF said.
- WEF said India’s score is its highest ever according to the current methodology, which ranked Switzerland as the world’s most competitive economy.
ADB lowers India growth forecast for FY18
- Asian Development Bank has downgraded India's growth projection to seven per cent for the current fiscal year, while lowering its forecast for the next financial year as well.
- "India's gross domestic product (GDP) growth is downgraded to seven per cent in financial year 2017-18, a 0.4 percentage point drop from the April forecast. In financial year 2018-19, the forecast is adjusted down to 7.4 per cent, from 7.6 per cent," ADB said in its Asian Development Outlook 2017 update.
Indirect tax share in GDP at all-time high of 10.5%
There has been a steady rise in indirect taxes (net of subsidies) in recent years, pushing up retail prices of commonly used goods and services. The combined share of Customs and excise duties, service tax, and value-added tax (VAT) in India’s gross domestic product (GDP) reached an all-time high of 10.5% during the financial year 2016-17, up from 7.7% three year ago. The previous high was 10.1% during the Rajiv Gandhi government in 1987-88.
ICC's new playing rules to come into effect on Thursday
- To maintain the balance between bat and ball, the size of the edges of the bats as well as their thickness will now be restricted.
- In a new playing condition pertaining to players' conduct, a player can now be sent off the field for the rest of the match for any serious misconduct. "...meaning it will apply to Level 4 offences while the Level 1 to 3 offences will continue to be dealt with under the ICC Code of Conduct.
- Also, in the new the DRS rules a review will now not be lost in case of a decision that remains unchanged, solely as the result of an 'umpire's call'.
Louisville ground to be named after Gavaskar
A cricket ground in Louisville, Kentucky USA — known as the hometown of celebrated professional boxer and sports icon Mohammad Ali — is to be named after India’s legendary opening batsman Sunil Gavaskar.
Sumit Nagal bags golds in men's singles tennis event at the Asian Indoor and Martial Arts Games in Turkmenistan
Sumit Nagal bagged the men's singles gold medal in the tennis event of Asian Indoor and Martial Arts Games with a dominating win over compatriot Vijay Sundar Prashanth in Ashgabat, Turkmenistan today. Nagal outplayed Prashanth 6-1, 6-1 in the all-Indian final as he broke him five times in the match.
President of India presents the National Tourism Awards
- The President of India, Shri Ram Nath Kovind, presented the National Tourism Awards today (September 27, 2017) at a function held in New Delhi.
- Kerala Tourism bagged nine wards in various segments of the travel, tourism, and hospitality industry for 2015-16 at a function organised by the Union Ministry of Tourism on World Tourism Day in New Delhi on Wednesday.
- Kerala Tourism received the ‘hall of fame’ award for the ‘most innovative use of information technology - social media / mobile app’ for the ninth consecutive year for tourism promotion using the services of IT solution provider Invis Multimedia.
- Gujarat Tourism won the Hall of Fame award for being the Best State in Comprehensive Development of Tourism category at the function.
- In the ‘niche’ category, Kumarakom got the award for the best responsible tourism initiative.
10 scientists won the annual Shanti Swarup Bhatnagar Prize
- Ten scientists were announced winners of the annual Shanti Swarup Bhatnagar Prize at a function presided over by President Ram Nath Kovind.
- The winners this year for the Biological Sciences are Deepak Nair at the Regional Centre for Biotechnology, Faridabad, and Sanjeev Das, National Institute of Immunology, Delhi; Chemical Sciences, Naresh Patwari, Indian Institute of Technology Bombay; Earth Sciences, Suresh Babu, VSSC, Thiruvanantha-puram; Engineering Services, Aloke Paul and Neelesh Mehta, Indian Institute of Science, Bengaluru.
India Mobile Congress 2017 started in New Delhi
- India’s first ever mobile, internet and technology event on a global scale, the Mobile India Congress 2017, kicked off in New Delhi on Wednesday with an aim to foster digital inclusion in India.
- The event was inaugurated by Minister of State (Independent Charge) Communications, Manoj Sinha, who also echoed on the need for digitisation for India’s development.
- Led by Department of Telecom as the nodal ministry, the India Mobile Congress is being organised by Cellular Operators Association of India (COAI), the industry association of mobile and telecom operators and internet companies will be a congregation to display, discuss, unveil, imbibe, educate and recognise the importance of the global and Indian telecommunications, mobile, internet, connectivity and digital services sector to the world.
’Lost city’ of Alexander the Great found in Iraq
- Archaeologists have discovered a city in Iraq that is thought to have been founded by Alexander the Great and was lost for more than 2,000 years.
- Researchers at the British Museum in London used drones to find the remains of Qalatga Darband, a fortified settlement in northern Iraq with a thriving wine trade, that went unrecorded in history.